European Commission goals
FP6/FP7 focused on technological research, in Horizon 2020 the focus is on innovation, delivering economic growth faster and delivering solutions to end users
- Timeframe 2014–2020 with €80bn of funding with SMEs receiving around 20%
- Airport IQ project ~ € 2.8M
- EC “wants to make Horizon 2020 the most SME-friendly EU support program in history”
- H2020 covers the European environmental research and innovation policy
- Airport IQ is an “Innovation project” addressing the Transport Specific Programme (H2020 Specific Programme: Part III – 4. Smart, green and integrated transport)
Smart, green and integrated transport H2020 Programme: Part III – 4
Airport IQ aims to improve the quality of the information that is used in turnaround. The departure time of an aircraft is predicted and set based upon a wide range of live and static data being provided - from groups such as catering fuelling teams, passenger handlers, maintenance crews, aircraft crew and baggage handlers.
The time estimates provided have many in-built time buffers, which when added together can have a significant impact on the accuracy of the departure time. By improving the quality of the information, the buffers will be reduced with a corresponding improvement in the eventual turnaround time.